Saturday, November 27, 2010

Humber by Hipstamatic

Hanging out at my mom's house on the Chesapeake Bay, nice weekend retreat for me and my daughter. My mom was reading this blog and saying she wanted to dust off her old bike that's been mostly collecting dust for the last fifteen years. So I checked it out and it's this cool Humber 3-speed, an amazing citizen-cycle. According to Wikipedia, Humber was an English brand taken over by Raleigh in the 1930s, up until the 70s.

I'm going to test ride it tomorrow. What sort of things go invisibly bad in a bike that sits that long unused in a basement?

4 comments:

  1. well if it's a sturmey archer, lot's of things invisible can go wrong. you ever seen a cutaway diagram? http://rideyourbike.com/sturmeyarcherIGH.shtml get ready to drop a couple of bennies for a rebuild.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crap, ok thanks. I don't know much about these things. Consider me braced for the worst...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hipstamatic is perfect for the humber, nice shot

    ReplyDelete